old movies....

I am a reader. There are times, particularly in the summer when I feel that everyone should have a break, when I burn through 2 or 3 books a week. I don't really read books that are totally inspiring or classic, but I love to lose myself in great fiction. Typically I go about my list of things to do, waiting for a few stolen moments here and there to read a page or two. I will not deny that I am kind of a nerd!
I recently re-discovered something about myself that I knew a very long time ago, but had long forgotten. (I guess it wasn't written in anything that I have read recently.) I love old movies. Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart....these are some leading men! Much like the fiction that I enjoy reading so much watching the clean and quirky goodness of an old classic can transport me to a totally different place and time so different from my reality. My problem is that I have a very small knowledge of these ‘old’ films. I will write out a quick list of my favs (out of the few that I‘ve seen), and if anyone else has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.
Here goes:

  • The Philadelphia Story
  • The Shop Around the Corner
  • The Little Princess (The Shirley Temple version)
  • Arsenic & Old Lace
  • North by Northwest
  • Bringing up Baby
  • 12 angry men
  • Two Weeks with Love
  • Neptune’s Daughter

Last night I watched Two Weeks with Love. I hadn’t seen it for a while. What a great movie! It has singing, dancing, fireworks, and corsets, (huh?), and that guy from Fantasy Island (Ricardo Montalban). I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Sonja said...

I remember this about you!Reading this made me miss you and the amazing wonderful, fun, full of personality person you are. Hope I get to see you soon and watch an old movie together!

Emily Norman said...

Hey there! Here are a couple more old movies that I would recommend:

Penny Serenade (Carey Grant)

Charade (Carey Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Mathou)

Wait Until Dark (Audrey Hepburn)-you have to call me if you watch this one!

Yahoo! I love old movies, too!

mmclarkfam said...

Em - I'll never forget the first time I watched Wait Until Dark with you.....whew! And maybe it's best not to even mention The Changling!