Snow Day

More snow! This past Monday we got another big snow storm. We had about 8 new inches when it was all done. This is on top of the 6 inches we got last week. Since early December, we have probably had about 30 inches of snow fall at our house. I know, I know... you people that like to do it all at once got 22 inches (Ogden) and 16 inches (Sandy), but for Orem, this is a lot of snow and I don't live in either of those places. All I know is that my back hurts. I have shoveled more times this year than the last three years combined.

Ok, now I am on my soap box, please allow me to wax for a moment. I really do not like the snow. I get it, I live in Utah, if I hate the snow I should move. Let me explain before you extradite me from the state. I will keep them brief, if you really need me to explain, just ask me later.

  • Driving or walking on my pavement before I get a chance to shovel
  • Dirty piles of snow everywhere until July
  • No golf
  • Endless layers of salt on my car
  • Slipping when I try to get out of my car. Come on, you have to give me this one, I am really 60, didn't you know.
  • No golf
  • Scraping, scratching, grinding, clawing... anything to get the ice of my windshield. No, I will not put plastic on my windshield every night. I am stubborn.
  • No golf
Ok, I am done. This was really not supposed to be the theme of my post.

Back to snow day at our house. We really did have a great time. We went out into an untouched backyard, made a fort and buried the kids (in the snow... we let them out...). Josh and Ellie relaxed and let us dump snow on them. Ellie laughed the entire time.

Our fort is... still under construction. We used plastic storage containers and packed them with snow to make our bricks. We have plenty more snow for another layer, but we were a little ambitious and made a 10x8 fort. Hey, if I lay flat on my back, you can only see the top inch of my belly.




Sam shoveled and moved snow the entire time. He was usually over in the soft fluffy stuff that no one had touched yet just digging. I think he liked the snow.








Ellie was completely worn out. She was done! I believe that she would have slept there if we would have let her.









Overall, it was a fun day. I am really looking forward to the next storm... in three days! That's right, more storms on the way. The weathermen were actually laughing when they talked about it... nice. Friday and Monday will bring more snow so we can expect more of the white coat all week long (sorry, you have to be from Utah to appreciate that one).

Matt

4 comments:

Jared and Niki said...

That snow fort is awesome! We wish our boys could play too, how fun! Gotta love the white coat! nik

Jared and Niki said...

I've got two words for you... Lexington, Kentucky. Actually, all that white stuff is one of the contributing factors for us moving from Utah. I hate scrapping my windshield... The 1/2" of snow we've had in 4 years in Lexington, KY is just how I like it. My back has never felt better!

Emily Norman said...

Oh the snow... I know, I know. I wish they would cancel everything here like the did in NM. And, you are much better parents than us. I think my kids now want to come live with you. Hey- I also posted a comment on your old movie section. Check it out! Good to hear from you!! Lunch soon?

scott said...

Dang, that snow looks sweet. Did Jeff try to convince you to make a snow pile by the house and jump off the roof? That's what we did when he visited me in VA. We had a huge snow storm and jumped out of my bedroom window (my neighbor who already thought I was crazy had all her suspicions confirmed). He'd probably hit the ground now.