Renovations

So here it is, Friday again, and we haven’t posted this week! What slackers! Quick recap for the week...Josh celebrated the 100th day of school this year - only 80 more. Mom is so sad! We have gotten more and more snow...can’t think of a time when we have had to shovel everyday. Why does the winter wonderland have to come after Christmas? I am still muddling through these issues with my health. Thanks for the prayers, they are much appreciated. And thanks for all of the birthday cards and calls – they were very sweet.

On to the renovations… the house we live in has been in Matt’s family for close to 50 years. His mom grew up here. It is a great house full of functional things like a special vacuum closet, and lots of great drawers/cabinets. Last fall we decided to spruce up these plaster walls with a new coat of paint, and the project grew from there. When it got to the point where we couldn’t live here anymore we moved in with Matt’s wonderful parents. Weeks turned into months, and we painted every wall / piece of trim in the house, ripped out the carpet in the living room, hall, and master bedroom, re-tiled 2 bathrooms, and so much more. We have decided that we’ll post pictures and descriptions room by room, and tonight I’ll start with the hall bathroom.
This room was a huge challenge, and in my opinion was the biggest transformation.
We started by ripping out the floorboards, the tile, and then the hardwood flooring underneath that. (The toilets were out in the living room for 3 weeks because we did both bathrooms at the same time.) We also ripped out the counter top, medicine cabinet, and smashed out mirrors that lined 3 walls.









The orange tabs on the walls are the adhesive that once held the mirrors, 12 of them to be exact! (This bathroom was once the domain of 4 teenage girls...they each had a 'station'!)
We are so happy with this bathroom now. It has new tile, paint, counter top, & mirror. We also added higher baseboards, a cute little towel rack that i stained, and pretty new curtains.

5 comments:

Emily Norman said...

Wow!! I'm very impressed, seriously. I can't believe that it's been about 7 years since you've been to my house. We need to change that. And, I want to come check out all your renovations! Can't wait to see more...

Arah Debra said...

I hope you had a third bathroom. That would've been a long time without a toilet.

Berrybritt said...

Melissa, I love to see the changes. I hope there are more pictures and updates to see

summer said...

the bathroom looks fantastic! I love the big mirror and all the "earthy" colors....way to go with all the work. I too am excited to see more of the home!

Jared and Niki said...

I love that! Now I need pics of the rest of the house! Way to go! It looks awesome.